(Listed by genre in reverse chronological order. Red links indicate works available for performance. Works with gray links are currently unavailable. As noted in the footnote, this is not a complete listing of Shinn’s works.)
- Rose in Flames, opera in two acts (2016). Libretto by Mark Medoff.
- Beautiful Princess Available for Rescue, opera in two acts (2003, rev. 2010). Libretto by Randall Shinn.
- Sara McKinnon, opera in two acts (2001, rev. 2002). Libretto by Mark Medoff. (revised and retitled Rose in Flames)
- Abigail Stone, opera in two acts (1999). Libretto by Randall Shinn.
- Wilbur!, opera in two acts (1985). Libretto by Randall Shinn. (revised and expanded as Beautiful Princess Available for Rescue)
- Claire, opera in two acts (1979). Libretto by Leven Dawson.
- Heralds of Spring for orchestra (2016)
- Interludes from Rose in Flames for orchestra (2016)
- The Night Sea for orchestra (2013)
- Five Sketches for orchestra (2010)
- Times Trans-shifting for orchestra (2008)
- Village Scenes for youth orchestra (1996)
- Family Letters for orchestra (1993) (revised as Five Sketches)
- Midnight Dances for orchestra (1992, rev. 2010)
- Cortège for orchestra (1984) (revised as Times Trans-shifting)
- Reflections for orchestra (1982) (revised as The Night Sea)
- The Silver Whistle for narrator and orchestra (1980)
- Chamber Concerto for percussion soloist and ten winds (1975)
- Three Recollections for solo horn, winds, and percussion (1971)
Solo Voices, Chorus, and Orchestra
- Unshorn Apollo for soprano, baritone, chorus, and orchestra (2013)
- Devices and Desires for soprano, baritone, chorus, and orchestra (1989) (revised as Unshorn Apollo)
- Make Much of Time for soprano, tenor, chorus, and orchestra (1987, rev. 2011), poetry by Robert Herrick, William Shakespeare, and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
- Now It Is Autumn for mezzo soprano, baritone, chorus, and orchestra (1977), poetry by D. H. Lawrence.
- Daydreams While Waiting for SATB chorus unaccompanied (1995)
- What Is Beauty, Then? for SSATB unaccompanied chorus (1976), text by Christopher Marlowe.
- Tokens for SATB chorus unaccompanied (1975), poetry by E. E. Cummings.
- Surprising the Air, a song for soprano and piano (2019), poetry by Veronica Patterson
- Ancient Roses, a ballad for mezzo soprano and harp (2015), poetry by William Butler Yeats
- Cummings Songs, four songs for tenor and harpsichord (1979), poetry by E. E. Cummings.
- Two Still Lifes for soprano, flute, bassoon, percussion, piano, violin, and cello (1976), poetry by Wallace Stevens.
- Signature for Tempo for soprano and piano (1976), poetry by Archibald MacLeish.
- The Cry of the Sedge for soprano, mezzo soprano, tenor, baritone, and guitar (1973). Poetry by William Butler Yeats.
- Songs of Our Climate for soprano, flute, clarinet, 3 percussionists, violin, double bass, and piano (1973), poetry by Wallace Stevens.
Chamber and Instrumental Music
- The Wind’s Edge for flute and piano (2019)
- Mountain Echoes four studies for solo horn (2018)
- Five Sketches for violin, cello, and piano (2016)
- Dream Suite for flute and harp (or piano) (2007)
- Medieval Variations for harp and string quartet (1985)
- Forgotten Letters for piano trio (1980) (revised as Five Sketches)
- Dialogue for violin and piano (1975, rev. 2013)
- Five Bagatelles for trumpet (1975)
- Traces for percussion ensemble (1974)
- Ceremonial Fanfare for trumpet, horn, and trombone (1973, rev. 2015)
- Process for solo flute (1973)
- Three Folksongs for winds, percussion, and piano (1973)
- Horn Quintet for horn, two violins, viola, and cello (1972)
- Serenade for brass quintet (1971)
- Soliloquy and Dialogue for trumpet and piano (1970)
- Intaglio for flute, clarinet, cello, and piano (1970)